Friday, June 4, 2010

Made 4 U Pottery Designs

I have always had a creative side. I have spent many years learning how to create different types of arts & crafts. I have been making things for as long as I can remember. I learned how to sew and knit in 4-H when I was a kid. I attended many types of arts & craft camps. I've tried painting and drawing. I think I have finally found a form of art that I think is really me, pottery.

My first pottery class was in 1988. It was a hand building class through 4-H. I made a bowl that we used for many years as a water/food dish for our cat. This class only gave me a taste of what pottery was and I had longed to take other classes. I always wanted to learn how to throw on the wheel. I'm sure part of this was sparked by the movie Ghost. Everyone knows the scene where Patrick Swayze & Demi Moore are playing with clay.

I finally got the opportunity start attending a open studio pottery class in September of 2008 at the Parks & Rec Department in Truckee, Ca. I remember walking into the first class and being asked by Susan Dorwart, "What would you like to do?" to which I replied, "I want to learn how to throw". She gave me a look and explained that it was very challenging and tried to talk me into making something hand built. I was adamant that I was there to learn to throw. She got me started. It was challenging. Demi Moore had made it look so easy and really it is not.

Over time, practice and research I finally started to comprehended how to create things on the wheel and I just fell in love with the whole process. I love getting down and dirty with the clay. I love experimenting with glaze. I enjoy researching new projects and techniques. I love the reward of seeing a piece go from start to finish and then seeing the looks on the faces of the people who receive my pottery. There is so much more for me to learn, but I think I have come to the point that I want to start selling my creations. This has lead me to create "Made 4 U" Pottery Designs. It is my intention in the near future to start selling pottery to the public.

I believe my pottery is unique in design and function. Unlike most pottery I have seen for sale, I am focusing primarily on creating pottery intended to house plants. This may change over time, but I find joy in making beautiful things for plants to live in. Over the last year I have made many styles of flower pots the majority of which I have given away as gifts.

Please contact me if you would like to order a custom flower pot made by me just for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment